SGIA’s first 2019 quarterly benchmarking survey queried garment decoration companies on products and markets in their industries. With responses from 94 garment decoration businesses, insights include:
- The average number of markets served is seven, with five products produced; 96.6 percent offer T-shirts, 80.5 percent bags, 75.9 percent hats/caps, and 79.3 percent performance wear.
- Top markets served include 73.5 percent business-to-consumer, 71.1 percent athletic, 69.9 percent corporate branding, 61.4 percent educational institutions, and 61.4 percent nonprofits.
- Markets with the highest growth potential: interior décor, architecture, printing for the trade, business-to-consumer, and healthcare.
- 78 percent of companies have fewer than 20 employees; 78.2 percent have a sales revenue of $3 million or less; and 14.4 percent top $10 million in sales.
- Garment decorators tend to offer additional products in other industry segments, most commonly graphic and sign (28.7 percent).
- 75.6 percent use a multi-technology approach to operations, with 17.9 percent being mostly digital and 34.6 percent mostly analog.
- 52.6 percent provide some type of finishing and/or post-production services, most commonly bagging/tagging and fulfillment.
- 79.4 percent experienced positive sales growth, with 8.3 percent median sales growth during the past year.
- 28.8 percent report an increase in employment; 51.6 percent plan to hire more people.
- 76.7 percent of respondents were confident about the industry.
SGIA members can access the full report online at sgia.org.
Watch Jay Busselle, Adrienne Palmer, and Jeremy Picker dive deep into DTG printing data, popular styles, and opportunities.
Apparel Decoration Trends for 2021 Part Two
Jay Busselle, marketing director, Equipment Zone, interviews two experts in apparel decoration trends: Adrienne Palmer, editor-in-chief of Screen Printing magazine, and Jeremy Picker, creative director and CEO of AMB3R Creative and Screen Printing Editorial Advisory Board member. Both share their insights on decoration trends, apparel styles, and some powerful data for DTG printing. Plus, Picker gives an exclusive look at his 2021 trend report. This is a follow-up webinar to Equipment Zone’s DTG Training Academy virtual event.
Screen Printers Share Their Commitments to Sustainability, Social Responsibility
Is Low Employee Morale Impacting Your Print Shop?
Post Your Online Classified
11 Photos That Show What It Takes to Be a Screen Printer
Sakurai Smart Textile Screen Press
Exile Technologies Spyder III Computer-to-Screen System
Podcasts4 months ago
Screen Saver Podcast: Branding
Case Studies4 months ago
Molly Baz Knows How to Sell a Brand
Best of the Business3 months ago
Cracking New Markets: Promotional Products
Thomas Trimingham4 months ago
How to Choose Between Digital Printing and Screen Printing
Screen Printing4 months ago
Join the Screen Printing Mentorship Project!
Marshall Atkinson3 months ago
Six Strategic Steps Toward Trying New Things
Andy MacDougall3 months ago
Screen Printers Fight Against COVID-19
Podcasts2 months ago
Andy MacDougall Talks Biosensors, Electrochemistry