Secondary and post-secondary students showed off their printing chops at the SkillsUSA National Leadership and Skills Conference (NLSC). Students from across the country gathered in Louisville, Kentucky June 24-28 to learn and compete in more than 100 skills contests focused on various trade and technical careers, including printing.
SGIA supported two industry-related competitions in the Graphics Imaging – Sublimation and Screen Printing categories by coordinating, judging, and organizing $96,000 in prizes and stipends.
“SGIA is proud to be involved at the level it is with this effort in cultivating the future workforce,” says Johnny Shell, VP, SGIA Print Technology and Training, and chair of NLSC.
More than 40 students took part in the two competitions, which required participants to cycle through eight testing stations, judged and vetted by SGIA members and staff to align with standard program curriculums.
Results — Graphics Imaging–Sublimation
• First: Mattie Egly, Lawrence County High School, Lawrenceburg, Tennessee
• Second: Colby Henson, Sikeston Career & Technology Center, Sikeston, Missouri
• Third: Mardeliz Flores, Orange Technical College – Mid-Florida Campus, Orlando, Florida
• First: Sandra Castaneda, Salt Lake Community College, Salt Lake City, Utah
• Second: Samantha Killen, Illinois Central College, East Peoria, Illinois
• Third: Christopher Waldun, Augusta Technical College, Augusta, Georgia
Results — Screen Printing TechnologyAdvertisement
• First: Makayla Buscher, Nichols Career Center, Jefferson City, Missouri
• Second: Keiller Middlebrook, Grover Cleveland High School, Reseda, California
• Third: Gabe Waldrup, S & W Washtenaw Consortium, Saline, Michigan
• First: Kyler Kelsch, Dixie State University, Saint George, Utah
• Second: James Sullivan, Illinois Central College, East Peoria, Illinois
• Third: Cynthia Lainez, Catawba Valley Community College, Hickory, North Carolina
Judges — Graphics Imaging–Sublimation
• Henry Coeme, HIX Corporation
• David Gross, Conde Systems Inc.
• Aaron Montgomery, Pic the Gift
• Syd Northup, Gans Ink & Supply
• Erin Nuss, SGIA
• Ray Weiss, SGIA
Judges — Screen Printing Technology
• Betty Bassett, Classic Designs Screen Printing
• Brett Bowden, Printed Threads
• Alan Howe, Saati Americas Corp.
• Pierre Jamnicky, Blue Moon Promotional Inc.
• Matthew Marcotte, T&J Printing Supply
• Donnie Mullens, Fruit of the Loom Inc.
• James Ortolani, PolyOne Corporation
• Lon Winters, Print This/GraphicElephants.com
• Aaron Montgomery of 2 Regular Guys Podcast
• Atkinson Consulting
• BBC Industries Inc.
• Beaver Paper & Graphic Media Inc.
• Conde Systems Inc.
• Easiway Systems Inc.
• Epson America Inc.
• Fruit of the Loom Inc.
• N. Glantz & Son
• Great Dane Graphics
• HIX Corporation
• Newman Roller Frames mfg. by Stretch Devices
• PolyOne Corporation
• Saati Americas Corp.
• Shur-Loc Fabric System
• The M&R Companies
• Wasatch Computer Technologies
Watch Jay Busselle, Adrienne Palmer, and Jeremy Picker dive deep into DTG printing data, popular styles, and opportunities.
Apparel Decoration Trends for 2021 Part Two
Jay Busselle, marketing director, Equipment Zone, interviews two experts in apparel decoration trends: Adrienne Palmer, editor-in-chief of Screen Printing magazine, and Jeremy Picker, creative director and CEO of AMB3R Creative and Screen Printing Editorial Advisory Board member. Both share their insights on decoration trends, apparel styles, and some powerful data for DTG printing. Plus, Picker gives an exclusive look at his 2021 trend report. This is a follow-up webinar to Equipment Zone’s DTG Training Academy virtual event.
Screen Printers Share Their Commitments to Sustainability, Social Responsibility
Is Low Employee Morale Impacting Your Print Shop?
Post Your Online Classified
11 Photos That Show What It Takes to Be a Screen Printer
Sakurai Smart Textile Screen Press
Exile Technologies Spyder III Computer-to-Screen System
Podcasts4 months ago
Screen Saver Podcast: Branding
Case Studies4 months ago
Molly Baz Knows How to Sell a Brand
Best of the Business3 months ago
Cracking New Markets: Promotional Products
Thomas Trimingham4 months ago
How to Choose Between Digital Printing and Screen Printing
Screen Printing4 months ago
Join the Screen Printing Mentorship Project!
Marshall Atkinson3 months ago
Six Strategic Steps Toward Trying New Things
Andy MacDougall3 months ago
Screen Printers Fight Against COVID-19
Podcasts2 months ago
Andy MacDougall Talks Biosensors, Electrochemistry